Home/

Police Logs


Firefighters rescue unresponsive man from basement fire on North Side


By matt@siouxlandscanner.com Updated on Saturday, January 07 2017 01:50am

Improper use of smoking materials was determined to be the cause of the fire at 1414 28th Street on Sioux City's North Side Friday evening at 9:18PM.



A press release from Sioux City Fire Rescue says that it's believed an occupant fell asleep while smoking, igniting the mattress. The release says that 5 of the 6 occupants of the home made it out safely, crews were able to locate a 70-year-old male, who stayed to try to extinguish the fire with a garden hose, unresponsive on the basement floor. He was quickly removed from the structure and transported to the hospital for treatment. His name and condition are not being released.

The home has been red-tagged by city inspections due to damage sustained including moderate fire damage. Officials say working smoke detectors helped alert the occupants to the fire helping them escape. They remind residents to check their smoke detectors regularly and exit the home immediately should an alarm activate.

Nearly 1000 smokers and non-smokers are killed every year from smoking. It's advised if you smoke to smoke outside, use deep sturdy ashtrays, make sure cigarettes and ashes are out before discarding them, never smoke in bed or when tired, use fire-safe cigarettes, and never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.



Previous
Sioux City Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire at 1414 28th street at 9:18PM on Friday evening.

According to Assitant Fire Chief Robert Wilson, crews were advised in route, that someone went back into the home in an attempt to put the fire out. Upon their arrival they observed smoke, firefighters entered the structure and removed one person who was unconscious and provided medical attention before being transported to the hospital by Siouxland Paramedics.

The fire was quickly extinguished, the fire caused significant smoke damage throughout the home but was small and confined to an area in the basement. Utilities have been shut off and the fire is under investigation. The condition of the person pulled from the fire is not known.


IncidentDate  TimeActivityLocation
17-00603   01/06 21:18   FIRE    1400 Block of 28TH ST