Law enforcement in 3 states respond to assault and stolen vehicle that ends in pursuit

A report of a car jacking to South Sioux City Police from a victim near 11th and Dakota about 9:20 pm on Wednesday evening August 2nd ended about 30 minutes later after a multi state pursuit that started in Sioux City, picked up in North Sioux City and back to Sioux City ended near Briar Cliff in the 3400 Block of Broken Kettle Road.

The victim contacted South Sioux City 911 to report their Kia was stolen and they were assaulted. The victim was transported to the hospital for their injuries. The theft and assault happened in Sioux City a short time earlier and the victim was dropped off in South Sioux City. Sioux City Police then spotted the car near West 1st and Perry Way about 5 minutes after it was reported to South Sioux City and attempted a traffic stop. The driver fled at a high rate of speed and officers lost sight of it a few minutes later. It was then spotted on Riverside Boulevard speeding, passing vehicles and going through stop lights before crossing into North Sioux City on Military Road.

North Sioux City Police spotted the vehicle 10 minutes later South on Military Road and initiated a traffic stop. The driver again fled at a high rate of speed back into Iowa where Sioux City Police picked back up the pursuit. The driver continued to flee from officers on Military and then North on Myrtle. Sioux City Police used spike strips to disable the vehicle which continued on until a pit maneuver was used in the 3400 Block of Broken Kettle Road where the vehicle was disabled and the driver, the only occupant was taken into custody. Court Documents say the speeds exceeded 100 mph in 25 mph residential zones.

Police arrested Brent Marlon Smith, 39 charged with Felony Eluding, Theft 2nd, Drivers license suspended and other driving offenses. Smith is being held in the Woodbury County Jail on $20,000 Bond.

The vehicle sustained substantial damage as a result of the pursuit, spike strips and pit maneuver. No injuries were reported during the pursuit and there was minimal damage to the police vehicle that performed the maneuver.