Cause of South Sioux City fire ruled as electical appliance failure


By matt@siouxlandscanner.com Updated on Monday, April 20 2020 04:47pm

A release from South Sioux City Fire says they responded to reports of a structure fire at East 37th Street and Oak Street at 5:05 am on Monday morning.

Subscribe Now or Become a Patreon to support Siouxland Scanner.

Crews requested assistance from off-duty personal and volunteers as well as Dakota City Fire and Sioux City Fire. On initial search of the residence a male was found outside suffering from difficulty breathing. He was transported to the hospital and later transferred to Lincoln for further treatment.

Two dogs in the home at the time of the fire were also rescued. One was taken to Animal Control and the other to South Sioux Animal Hospital for treatment.

The fire was quickly extinguished and was limited to the kitchen area. The entire residence received heavy smoke and heat damage. The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical appliance failure on the countertop.